Those who place their faith in Christ have only one option, only one logical next step, and that is to walk in Him – as His disciple.
Play or download this episode of the Take Note Podcast using the player, or read its transcript below.
- Today we’ll begin by asking, have you received Christ as Savior?
- The answer is key to the remainder of the lesson
- Because this passage is all about walking in Him
- And no one who has rejected Him can walk in Him
- But those who place their faith in Jesus (and Him alone) have only one option
- And that is to walk in Him
- This is the goal – and the joy – of our life
- It’s clear from the beginning here…
6 As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him:
- It is logical, it only makes sense, it follows
- That those who have received Him, would walk in him
- This means to live life in daily fellowship with Him
- To understand what He wants us to do and be, based on His word
- To obey those things we understand
- To pray
- To remain in fellowship with and have accountability to other believers in the local church
- To grow in faith
- And to minister as His servants
7 Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving.
- To have faith in Christ and to walk as one of His disciples
- Means to have roots
- To be established
- This is describing a certainty of foundation that is uncommon to man without Christ
- And as we place ourselves under the teaching of the word of God
- Both at church, through pastors and other believers
- An through our own diligent study
- We abound – always remaining thankful
- For we provide not these roots and this grounding for ourselves
- He provides them for us through His own word
- They serve as a platform for future discipleship and future success
8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.
- There are people who may try to direct our attention elsewhere
- To turn it from Christ to other things
- Perhaps they peddle philosophies which God does not approve – that do not come from His word
- Perhaps they just lie
- Or promote traditions they (or other men) have come up with themselves
- Whatever worldly ideas they espouse, distract and cause harm
- They do not point us to the Savior
- Beware of people like this!
9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.
- Some may question or directly deny this
- But we know the truth from scripture
- And it is proven in our lives day by day as we watch His power manifest itself on our behalf
10 And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:
11 In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:
12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.
- We are complete in Him – and by His power
- And we bear His mark, not necessarily a physical one, but His mark
- Our old life is passed away
- We are dead to sin
- Things are radically different for us now
- As baptism shows, our old selves are buried
- And we are raised
- Walking in new life
- These truths should be ever-present
- They should remind us not to return to any part of the old life
- For our flesh and this world will pull in that direction
- Rarely toward Christ
- Only away from Him
13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;
- Something real, something certain, something irreversible has happened to us
- We have been forgiven
- The state of war that existed between us and God has been ended
- The trespasses we have committed were cleansed by His blood
14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;
15 And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.
- Real victory has been obtained by Him
- The just legal sentence we deserved has been served by Jesus
- And the power that held us has been broken
- Therefore we may walk in Him